Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Where Do Big Toes Live?

I know there as been some questions raised about this blog title, and after eliminating some other distractions.....I guess I do owe an explanation.


The most common definition for the term Big Toe is as follows.... –noun :the first, innermost, largest digit of the foot, origin: 1885–90. I think we can all pretty much agree on this one, right? Not so much....I, after a revelating conversation with my daughter, found out that "Big Toe" is much bigger than that....MUCH, MUCH BIGGER!


A couple of weeks ago we were traveling back to Scottsville, from Franklin, after attending a Relay for Life committee meeting. I was chatting it up with my husband about the scheduling of the upcoming event's activities, which I was responsible for....and spazzing out about it because I have procrastinated every damn thing like I usually do. We are in his little Mazda pick up, barely big enough to fart in, with our daughter placed in the middle. (with a seat belt on of course! I am not that redneck) During the middle of my ranting and raving, and his head nodding (what he does when he is really not listening but he wants me to think he is)....my daughter looks up at me and ask...."Momma, are big toes real?"

Seeing the anxiousness for an answer in her eyes, I quickly answered..."Well, of course they are silly bear!". This is when I learned what "Shit your pants" meant. It was visibly obvious that she was immediately overcome with fear......"WHERE ARE THEY? WHERE DO THEY LIVE? WHERE DO THEY LIVE?" she began to tearfully belt out. I wasn't too sure what to do, how to respond...was this behavior provoked by another playful, yet silly, SpongeBob skit? I tried to unwrap her from my left arm, and started asking more questions..."Why are you so scared, Why are you crying, What do think is a Big Toe?" ......BINGO boys......I got it! After a few simple questions, I figured it out.......Big Toes = Bigfoot!

I reassured her that big toe/Bigfoot was not real, and that it was only story that someone made up to make their kids go to bed at night. I explained to her how silly the notion was, and educated her that when children do not go to sleep at bedtime, Bigfoot had nothing to do with it......that was the Sandman's territory. (She was still fighting sleep at 2:am that morning) Simmer! I was just teasing about the Sandman part, however I DO have a story to share about that....the Sandman that is.....but that is for another day.

 I am not quite sure how she even heard about Bigfoot, but after some reflection...I completely understand her association! Makes sense to me because I too, usually only catch 1/2 of a phrase or story, and have a tendency to fill in the rest. I guess she is truly her mother's daughter..............



I wonder what a Big Toe Monster would look like anyway?Send me your Big Toe Monster pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment